Saturday 8 June 2013

June 8 "Under A Bright Welsh Sky"

I should apologize in advance. I have no camera and I will have access to some pictures, but they might be better sought on Facebook. Just FYI.

Today started late. Too late actually. Setting an alarm doesn't really work if you don't turn the alarm setting to 'on' on the phone. Either way. I was able to get dressed, pack a lunch and be ready to go in ten small minutes. Today Becca and I were treated to a lovely day around with our friends from the Rhyd Church. They took us to a park with a beautiful lake. It was a sunny day with a warm sun and a cool breeze. Naturally every family in Wales went to the park on this day. We had a boys vs. girls scavenger hunt around the lake (preset signs that we had to find- it was very fun, but not very challenging). After that we played on the playground for a bit and I even got to ride the massive log swing thing (TWICE- once as a counterweight for Tim and Baby William and once with Becca). It's basically indescribable. Maybe the video will emerge soon.

After the park, most of us headed off to a secret surprise tour! I had no idea where we were going, but eventually (several sheep later) we made our way to Ogmore Castle! We started off by hopping across the river on a bridge of spaced out stones that vanish with the rising tide! Very fun. Becca and I ran ahead to explore and came back across the horse pastures to hop back to the castle lest we be trapped by the rising water. We then explored the ruins of the castle (by explore I mean- climb all over). Becca even joined me in  climbing up to the tallest parts of the ruins (that we could reasonably attempt). She's so great.

We then headed back the Ton-Teg to have supper with Brian and Elizabeth. To our surprise they decided that Chinese food would be a good idea! They tend to be very Welsh traditional in their food choices...which they were, but we got Chinese food. But Chinese food is quite different over here...It makes me wonder what REAL Chinese food is like. No consistency... So I ordered random things. One was pretty good. The other...could have been better.

This evening was supposed to be our GSUS Bus event, but when we had gotten everything set up at Temple Baptist Church the only person who showed up was a girl who already goes to Rhydyfelin Methodist. We sat around and chatted for a while, but eventually we had to just pack up and go. I wish that some of the students would have taken us up on the event, but I guess that is just the way that ministry goes sometimes. Especially with youth. Especially in this culture. But I will not be discouraged! God has a plan for His glory here in Wales. He is in control and not a single one of His chosen children will slip through His grip.

The evening concluded with some time at Claire's, where Becca and I watched the Lions game (Rugby) while we worked on the guest list and wedding registries. There was also more Chinese food! This stuff was good. The kind that I should have ordered. Remind me next time- curry and Cantonese- the letter 'c' is the way to go. Then I got a lift back and here I am...falling asleep at the keyboard once more. Tomorrow is Sunday. A day for resting. A day for worship. Pray that we do both well!

Thank you for your prayers! I wasn't sure if people were reading, but Facebook begs to differ!

God bless.

"But God shows His love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us".

No comments:

Post a Comment