Wednesday 5 June 2013

June 5 "Crunchies and Coke"

Another beautiful day in Wales. Rumor is that the Americans bring the good weather with them when they come. That has been true so far, but I'm not going to count my chickens just yet. It is the UK after all. But today was sunny and gorgeous. It is always a bit chilly in the morning and then a bit hot in the car in the afternoon, but once 2 or 3pm rolls around it feels PERFECT outside. And apparently this is what Welsh summer always feels like! Well...when it's sunny.

We spent another glorious day on the Bus. Today was a bit different because Alun had to go and do a school assembly (an activity that I can tell more about once I start doing them). So it was Brian, Elizabeth, Maggie and I manning the fort for most of the day. It was also different because we had Year 6 students who came to Ponty High for transition day. They are still in primary school, but came over to see what it is like. So 3 out of 4 scheduled appointments were with them. And it was great. We had to rush through them a bit, but all in all it went very well. And then at the end of the day a 5th group, of students that we hadn't seen decided to come to the Bus! Because they wanted to! They basically got the teacher to switch their class time! And then after school we got a lift with Sarah and she told us that the students could not stop going on about the Bus! We might have gotten scolded slightly for the 3-D glasses that we gave them, but who cares! I am so happy. For whatever reason, these students are excited about the Bus. Hopefully whatever is driving them to want to be on the Bus will continue and that may help for some of this to stick. That's the hope. Pray for it to work!

After school we headed back and we hung around waiting until Rhyd Church's Kid's Club. We ended up going to a park in Cardiff (never been there before!!!) and we took 6 children and 2 little ones with us! I made so many new friends. It was a great time. Welsh playgrounds make American playgrounds seem like a big plastic waste of time (except maybe for Martha Rivers). But they had a 30 foot tall robe pyramid thing to climb, and a sideways spinning circle thing, and a 30 foot slide built into a hill, and a tower to play on! It was great. I may or may not have tried most of those things I just mentioned. Except the slide...there was a line...and I would have gotten stuck...maybe next time. It was a good time and then on the way home we saw a fox! Right in the middle of the city. We were all so shocked. It just ran across the road and into some bushes Very cool. I got to ride with Kath and a bunch of little girls (Kath is Brian and Elizabeth's youngest daughter). Good times. 

After we got back from that I decided that I needed a walk. So I walked down to the store and bought a Coke and a Crunchie (delicious Welsh candy) and then I just walked. I walked up the hill trying to find the top, but kept getting dead-ended. It was a good time to just be quiet and think and enjoy God's creation. It was in the middle of the city, but the rolling hills still popped over the houses and glowed in the setting sun. I think I may make a habit out of it. 

It was a busy day. But very exciting. And tomorrow I get to see Becca!!! She gets to come over and help on the Bus and then we are all having dinner here. I think that makes like a dozen people all crowded in this house. We struggled to fit 8 the other day. It will be interesting. 

There is so much good going on here in Wales. But there is a lot of hurt as well. Pray for these churches and pray for these people. And while you're at it. Pray for America too. I hear the older people talk about the attitude that put Wales in the position that it is in and I've got to tell you, if America doesn't begin to change its direction, we are going to face this same spiritual decline. We have got to stop taking God and His Church for granted. We claim to be a Christian nation, but what does that mean? Wales still refers to itself as a Christian nation. The same teacher that spoke of our presentation as a valid opinion among many even said so. Yet less than 5% of the people are in Church. It's nominal. It's meaningless. Pray for us. Pray for them. 

God bless

No comments:

Post a Comment