Thursday 6 June 2013

June 6 "Up A Tree I'll Be"

I got to see my Becca today! It was so fun. Her and Brian actually beat us to the Bus, but they waited for us to start everything...well...we had the keys. Anyway, it was a good day. Still working with the same system and with a new batch of kids each day. We were supposed to do five groups today, but a few errors (not on our part) meant that we only got to do three. No matter. We got to leave a bit early and I got to do some good journal work in my down time. And I got to surprise Becca with a pack of Reese's Cups. She was thrilled. She also tried a Crunchie. I think she prefers the Cups.

After school we headed back to the house and I hung around until supper. Becca had to go back for a meeting, but came back over for dinner! I think we had like 20 people over. It was so packed. Fun, but very packed. We had a great meal and cake! It's Granny Jean's 88th on Sunday (Elizabeth's Mum) so we sang and celebrated a bit for that. After dinner we went down to the playground and threw the Frisbee for a while. It was not quite as impressive as the one from yesterday, but they did have a good merry-go-round. There was much dizziness.

After playing for a while we packed in Claire's car and drove back to Caer for a youth club at Pete and Kath's house (Gateway people). On the way there Rosie, Claire's oldest, convinced her friends that we were French. I may have complemented it with some French gibberish, but they believed us until we came clean. Funny stuff. We made it to the house, huge and beautiful as I remember, and hung around while people arrived. The night was spent playing games and eating pizza (some of which I was able to take with me- score!) Then to wrap things up, Pete gave an intro on the topic of Jesus. It was interesting. There were some things in his presentation (built for semi-churched middle schoolers) that I hadn't thought about. It is definitely very different here.

After the meeting we were playing in the front yard with a Frisbee that Rosie had won in the games and Raph got a hold of it. Poor, poor Frisbee. He threw it (he's Brazilian...more of a soccer player- though excellent at American Football) and it landed on just about the highest branch of the tree. So all was lost...BUT WAIT!!!  Bobby to the rescue. Shoeless, I scaled the tree and made it to the uppermost branch. Pete and Kath were kind of protesting from a distance- something about the branches having fallen earlier in the week. Woops. I had already gotten so close, and it seemed a shame to turn back. I have been climbing trees as long as I can remember, so I guess I had a bit of a chip on my shoulder. I hope that I didn't scare/offend them, but nonetheless I kept at it. One long stick and a few minutes in the tree and 'Voila!" Frisbee rescued. I felt like a hero. I also boosted Sam up when we got back to their house so that he could get his Nerf rocket off the roof. Someone should pin a medal on me.

At the Hughes residence we watched a bit of rugby (England v. Wales rerun- great game) and chatted in the lounge until the game was over (Wales 30 to 3- old news) and it was time to come back home. And here I am. Tired from a long day and ready for tomorrow. I'm not sure what Friday's here will feel like since not much changes in the weekend. It's all such a wonderful, hectic blur!

Anyway, as we wrap up our time in Ponty High, please be in prayer that the children will have taken some good away from this. Seeds have definitely been sown, but there is a lot of darkness and a lot of hardness of heart here. We are having an event on Saturday evening for the students to come to on the subject of "What am I worth?" I've been given a time to speak and so please pray for me, but apart from that pray for them. There is nothing that I could say or do that would change them without God's blessing and provision. Pray for the children of Wales. They need to know their Savior.

Almost a full week in the country! 10am tomorrow will make it a full week in Wales. Praise God! It has been so fun and so full of joy so far. Pray for my energy, my patience, and my faith. It is an exhausting experience in a lot of ways, but God is good. Thanks for keeping up.

God bless



No comments:

Post a Comment