Monday 10 June 2013

June 10 "A Good Day's Rest"

Praise the Lord! I feel loads better. Those cough drops sure did the trick. That and the cough syrup. If I was a sickness then I'd want to be away from that stuff as well. Thank you all for your prayers. I'm glad that God answers prayers. I've got too much to do this week to be sick.

Alun took me on my first round of assemblies today and it was an interesting experience. The first school was a secondary (middle and high) school for youth with behavioral problems. Alun gave a brief presentation and then I got paraded around the classroom like a celebrity. It was pretty funny actually. They had a good many questions. Most were about the USA. Then we went to a primary school and I got to see Alun work with the young ones. They were so excited to sing the songs and to answer his questions. It was really encouraging to see. I am glad that the children can get excited about it. Now they just need to fall in love with Jesus! Hopefully I can help out later on. Children aren't my specialty, but I am going to be doing assemblies this summer so I'll figure something out.

After assemblies I got dropped off at Jake Vance's house so that Dottie could pick us up for our day of rest. Monday is kind of our new Sabbath because we often have so much to do on Sunday, so today is our day to rest and debrief with Dottie.

Today we went to Raglan Castle. It was awesome. Becca will have pictures (I should apologize for that- my blog is pictureless because I don't have a camera handy and even if I did there are strict laws about including children in the pictures). I love all of these old structures. It's like taking a field trip back in time and I find it so interesting to look back at how people used to live and what they must have done and thought.

After the castle we took an extra trip to Tinturn Abbey which are the ruins of this massive cathedral near the English border. It was so cool. Standing under the sky in the middle of that giant stone church really draws your eyes up into the heavens. It was a cool sensation to think that so many Christians (all very different from me) had walked in those same places. It was humbling. God is so much bigger than my life here in the 21st century. He is the central character in history and we are here to be a part of His story. How often I get that the wrong way around.

Once finished with the trip we headed back to Jake's for tea with him and his wife Fionn. They made us a lovely meal and served us tea and dessert and it was just a fun evening to relax and watch some TV. It was good to sit and talk with someone who has been where I am now. It was a great encouragement and I had a great time. Hopefully we can find more excuses to head over and hang out.

The night was capped off with a long walk around Claire's neighborhood in Caerphilly. Becca and I just strolled around the streets in the setting sun talking about what we were doing lately and what we needed to be planning for. It was a great walk. We spend a lot of time together, but not much just the two of us. It was good to get away for a bit and just have 'us' time to talk.

It is hard to believe that so much has happened already. It has been such a busy couple of days and I am just now starting to get settled into a schedule. I need to learn how to be clear and to plan well, lest I get swamped or confused by all of the different tasks at hand. There is certainly a lot of work to be done, but it is by no means all mine. God is the one behind all of this. We are here to reap His harvest and resting in that truth makes it so much easier to be here. I don't think that I could bare it if the salvation of these people were resting on my abilities. But God is in control. There is so much comfort in knowing that a loving God is in charge of all of this. It's not just headed nowhere. This world has a purpose. This universe has a grand design. God is at the center of it all, and He loves me. He loves all of His people.

That's a good thought to sleep on. So I will.

God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment