Thursday 4 July 2013

July 4 "Independence Day"

Happy Fourth of July everybody. I cannot say that I celebrated in a manner worthy of the great American tradition. But I still had a good day.

Becca joined us on the Bus this morning! One more day to go, hard to believe it actually. But the lessons went smoothly and she was able to give her testimony. We were also able to play with the frisbee for a while and to chat with many of the kids. A full five lessons went by and I finished one of the books for my internship! One more to go.

After the Bus we headed back here and hung around while we waited for everyone to come over for tea. We even scoured the shop for a while trying to find some stuff for the 4th of July. We found chips and salsa, but that was as American as we could get (Cinco de Mayo?). Tea was delicious as usual and afterwards we went back to Claire's for the Caerphilly Youth Club.

We all met in the house and ate some pizza (second supper!) and then played some games. Then we went up to the mountain to play capture the flag. Good fun. Kids are so funny. The boys spent most of the time throwing rocks at each other and tacking each other to the ground. Neither of those were the object of the game at all. My pride swelled a little when the team that I was supervising won, but I checked it. No big deal. Except that it meant that I beat Becca's team. But really we weren't that invested in the game that much. Still fun though. I did realize at one point that I was standing on top of a Welsh triangulation point with a Argentinian flag flying over my shoulder- I guess that's how we celebrated the 4th. God bless America!

The evening drifted away as we devoured our chips and salsa- thereby completing our completely backwards celebrations. Finally I was taken home only after stopping to get candy from Tesco. Now I have Reese's Pieces for tomorrow. Score.

I am truly blessed. I do not deserve all of the good gifts and opportunities that God has given me, but I guess that is kind of the point. All the more glory for Him for His mercy. There are a lot of things going on right now and it is good to just know that God is good. I have a lot to do. I have a lot to look forward to.

For a few reasons today has been a bit of a homesick one. I miss the baby back ribs and explosions that I might be enjoying with all of the American people who I love. I am still so happy to be here and I will always have the joy of the Lord. Tomorrow I am doing a PCY BATH Night again, so be in prayer that I would speak the truth in a way that these kids can understand.

God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment