Tuesday 30 July 2013

July 30 "Days Gone By"

Well... I have bid Wales goodbye. And after a fun filled day in London I am about to bid the island of Britain goodbye.

I do not think that it would be possible for 8 weeks to fly by any faster than that just did. I do admit, at some points it seemed to be going by dreadfully slow. But now that it is behind me, I am a loss of what to feel. I am at a loss of what to think. I do not let myself get choked up over things in the past, I tend to be a more future focused person anyway.

The week finished out wonderfully. It was a great experience and a great week of club with the team. There were no miracle conversions or radical professions of faith, but for this country, the fact that the Word of God has gone forth is a good thing. Good conversations are big victories and we had a lot of those. We were able to love the people in the community well and to give them another reason to think about Christ and His Gospel. That is a major victory.

The weekend was spent with the team. Going over the week and relaxing. We took a day trip to the Brecon Beacons (mountains) and had a picnic/short hike. And even though they were only here for the very tail portion of my stay in Wales, they felt like family and it was hard for them to leave. Especially since I knew that soon it would be my turn.

Sure enough, the next day, having gotten very little sleep, we headed out to Cardiff to bus out to London. It was a tearless goodbye, but a sweet one. I left the place that I called home and the people who have taken such good care of me in this time. I will miss their company. I will miss being a part of their church family.

In hindsight there is a lot that I will be taking away from this trip. Many memories, captured in post previous. And many lessons, too many to include in one closing post.

But I will say that if there is one lesson that we can learn from the Welsh churches it is one of community. Their churches are in community and in the community. The Baptists work with the Methodists who work with the Nondenominational churches and all because they know that together they can accomplish more than when divided and competing. Could the American churches use a fresh perspective on this topic? Do we focus more on Sheep-stealing than Goat-saving? And further than that, the fact that these churches are low on members and low in attendance means that they have a hunger and a passion for stepping out into the 'secular' community that surrounds them. In a lot of cases they lack the resources and the community lacks in interest, but the desire is there and the knowledge of the need is there. Are we comfortable with the amount of filled pulpits that we have? Do we take that number for granted? Are we uncomfortable with the concept of going out and being a part of our community, not as a matter of church attendance even, but for the good of those around us? If our church was to disappear off of the face of the earth, would the non-members around us even notice?

It has been a long road. I have been changed by this experience more than any change that I could see. Yet, I have faith that God has worked in mighty ways through my presence there. I have seen Him do so much good and He is definitely moving in Wales and in the UK.

My parting words are this.
              If you have followed me all along, then: thank you. If you have prayed for me, then: thank you. If you have thought of me and wished me well in your own way: thank you. If you enjoyed my posts then I am glad. If you hated them than I am sorry. And if you are a Christian, then I hope that these weeks of updates have been of some encouragement to you and have helped you to think about and see what God is doing in another place in the world. If you are not a Christian, then I hope that the messages that I shared in Wales have come alive in these posts. God loves the people of Wales. He desires for them to trust in His Son for their salvation and to be with Him forever. But He wants that for you too. He wants it for all of us. I flew halfway around the world with the help of a bunch of generous people for no other reason than to share this love. Anything else that was accomplished is just a blessed addition. The purpose is Jesus. Know Him. Love and be loved by Him. It is what we were all created to do.

God bless

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete