Wednesday 10 July 2013

July 10 "Crunchies and Coke 3"

What a day.

For starters. I got up early. And I didn't get out of bed. It is the most ridiculous thing in the world. I was awake, not sleeping, but I wasn't really doing anything. I was supposed to be thinking, but I was so busy fighting sleep that I might as well have just gotten the extra rest.

But anyway, eventually I did rise and was able to grab some quick breakfast before heading off to my first assembly! I decided that I wanted to do the story of the Prodigal Son and to have the kids help me tell the story by acting it out. It went well, I thought so anyway. We will have more tomorrow and then some more later this week, but there really aren't that many left for me to do. After assembly Alun and I trekked down to Ponty for some more Open Air stuff.

We went to the Christian book store and waited for our team mates to show up and Jake was there! We chatted and I browsed and ended up finding a copy of Screwtape Letters for 1 pound! What a steal. Of course I bought it. After my purchase I went upstairs and got a cup of coffee (filter brew- a real treat in a world of instant) and chatted with the coffee shop ladies. Eventually the rest of the people did show up and after some brief introductions we headed downtown to spread the Good News.

Our time started off slowly. The first two paint boards didn't really attract a crowd and so after that we decided to split up and try our Belief Surveys out (questionnaires designed to spark conversation). In and around this time I was praying that God would bring me to someone that I could really minister to. Someone who I could see get saved.

I walked for a bit and then found myself in an alley, wondering where and how I was going to randomly administer a survey. I thought back to the Bible and how Paul used to address people, usually he started by going to the synagogues...but there were no synagogues in Ponty (that I know of). Just then (literally) the church bells started ringing. And so I took that as a sign that I should head for the church. Might as well, right? I fixed my eyes on the high steeple and started walking. About halfway down the alley I realized that I had to use the toilet, so I ducked into the market to find one. I found one. Guess what. They try to charge you 20p to use their toilet. Crazy right? I was standing there trying to figure out what this scam could possibly mean when I realized that I had caught the attention of the man collecting the money. I asked him about taking the survey, boring as his job must have been, and he surprisingly agreed to take it. We worked through the survey and some of his beliefs to find that he was a Kind-Of-Buddhist. On the last question of the survey you are supposed to lay out the Gospel and bring the conversation to a point of question. I opted for a conversation instead.

He introduced himself as Lee and I introduced myself, at which point he shared that he was also a Robert! That's right, I met a Welsh Buddhist named Robert Lee today. And it gets better. After a moment he invited me into his booth and we struck up a long conversation about life and family and what we believe. He even offered me a cup of coffee while we chatted! It was a great conversation and I really felt like I was able to share what I believed with him in a way that challenged him a bit. He said a lot of things that made me believed that he was at least somewhat interested in what I was saying. And believe me, he didn't hesitate to tell me straight if he felt a certain way. Not at all. Very nice guy though. After nearly an hour I decided that my group might be looking for me and so I had to bid him farewell. He invited me to come back by anytime for a free use of the toilet or a drink. I told him that I would do my best to return and I fully intend to. And you had best believe that I will be bringing a Bible when I do.

After that experience, Jake, Alun and I headed up the hill to eat with Allen and Margaret- friends from Ponty. It was great to meet with them and chat with them and to eat lunch with them. They had some amazing cheeses. I got to tell them my story and we talked about where we had all been and where we were going. It was just a good time to have fellowship and to enjoy the company of fun people. We got a lift to our respective locations after our time was done and then it was not too long before we headed down to Rhyd for the Kid's Club.

Unfortunately, we had to cancel the club because a school event stole away all of our kids! But I was able to spend some time with Becca afterwards, playing with the rugby ball and talking about all of the stuff that we are learning and going through. When the sun went down we sat in the lounge with Brian and Elizabeth and talked about various things (church, our days, the death penalty- fun stuff). It was there that we experienced some truly delightful treats. 1- Banana Split. 2- Crunchie and Coke (Cherry) and Becca had her Reese's Cups. 3- Black Currant Jam on toast. It was quite the late night snack. Then as our time had run out, we took Becca home and I showered and got ready for bed. And here I am.

It was such a good day. God has really been teaching me so much about the sort of adventure that He has in store for those who do His work. It was such a joy just to be able to share and talk with someone and to be able to have such good time with His people. He is so good.

Please be in prayer for Lee. He needs the Gospel and I want to try and go see him as much as I can manage, as well as to establish some form of contact with him. And to get him plugged into a church. There are a lot of things to pray for. Pray for Allen, who I met today, there is something wrong with his leg.

Thank you for your continual prayers and support. I am glad to be able to share this will everyone who has been reading.

God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment